Recommended Hygiene Products
The ideal toothpaste should have the following properties:
- Contain Fluoride: fluoride will protect and rebuild the enamel. It also kills the bacteria that cause cavities.
- Low-abrasive: gritty substances added to toothpastes can wear off enamel.
- Non-whitening: most whitening toothpastes contain heavy abrasives and are acidic, both of which can lead to erosion of the enamel.
- Does NOT contain SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate): this compound is found in many household detergents and shampoos. It helps give toothpaste a soapy consistency, however it interferes with the action of fluoride.
Below are some recommended brands that meet the above criteria:
The ideal mouthwash should have the following properties:
- Alcohol-free: long-term use of alcohol is known to decrease salivary flow and is the second most common cause of oral cancer, after tobacco.
- Neutral or high pH: the vast majority of mouthwashes are acidic in nature which completely defeats the purpose of restoring enamel. At a neutral or high pH, cavity-causing bacteria are not able to produce harmful acids.
- Contain Fluoride: fluoride will protect the enamel and inhibit the growth of bacteria that cause cavities.
We recommend ACT Anticavity Fluoride Rinse: click below for product info.
Aim for 3-5 servings per day (6-10 grams total) after meals, snacks or sugary beverages.
- Xylitol Mints/Candies : each mint contains 0.5 grams of xylitol, click below for product info.
Sonic Electric Brush
We prefer sonic electric brushes versus manual brushes because they:
- Remove plaque and bacteria more effectively.
- Require less dexterity and time to use.
- Lower your risk of toothbrush abrasion and gum recession.
- Remove tooth stains more effectively.
We Recommend Sonicare Brand Brushes
- Sonicare Kids (ages 4-10): click here for product info.
- Sonicare Essence (rechargeable): click here for product info.
- Sonicare Easy Clean (rechargeable):click here for product info.
The most important areas of the mouth to clean are between your teeth. 80% of all cavities originate from these areas. The Waterpik Ultra Waterflosser has been shown to be TWICE as effective than regular flossing for removing bacteria between the teeth.
Ultrasonic Cleaner for Retainers